[tor-dev] Am I looking at the right spec for pluggable transports?

David Fifield david at bamsoftware.com
Thu Jan 30 00:19:46 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 03:24:51PM -0600, Ox Cart wrote:
> I'm interested in writing a pluggable transport for Tor.  Is this spec a good
> place to start?
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/180-pluggable-transport.txt

Better than proposal 180 is pt-spec.txt, which is more up to date.
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/pt-spec.txt

For the extended OR port on the server side, see
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/196-transport-control-ports.txt
https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/proposals/217-ext-orport-auth.txt
(But ignore the TransportControlPort part of proposal 196, as that's not
implemented.) For the extended OR port, you may also want to look at
some existing source code:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/obfsproxy.git/blob/b88efc0ce3f145d5e767d5b938889e99b47021b7:/obfsproxy/network/extended_orport.py
https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/goptlib.git/blob/abeea884f554b4119ebd84974c612c0dca6ce941:/pt.go#l581

David Fifield