[tor-dev] Projects to combat/defeat data correlation

Matthew Finkel matthew.finkel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 16 12:54:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 09:16:20PM -0600, Jim Rucker wrote:
> Are there any projects in Tor being worked in to combat data correlation?
> For instance, relays the send/recv constant data rates continuously -
> capping data rates and padding partial or non-packets with random data to
> maintain the data rates

The very quick answer without providing much detail is that you may want
to look at scramblesuit [0][1]. It doesn't try to provide constant
throughput, but (as the website says) "we alter inter-arrival times and
the transported protocol's packet length distribution". This isn't a
perfect solution, and won't impress a GPA, but it's a start if you're
dealing with a localized passive observer.

- Matt

[0] http://www.cs.kau.se/philwint/scramblesuit/
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/phw/scramblesuit.git