[tor-dev] Anyone wanting to write some Weather-tight code?

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Tue Jan 14 09:52:02 UTC 2014

On 1/13/14 7:29 PM, Nufuk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I made changes to the overall-design and added the files as an
> attachement to the site. I would like to implement the "daily" script
> and make a DB design diagramm. I would attach the DB design to the page
> when I finished it.
>
> Could you please provide a quick brainstorm what the DB needs, so I
> won't forget anything.

Hi Norbert, hi Abhiram,

I'm trying to coordinate efforts a bit here:

- Norbert, how about you start writing the daily script as a stand-alone
Python script that doesn't send out emails nor interact with a database
yet?  This first version of the script could simply print out which
relay operators should be offered a t-shirt.

- Norbert, maybe we can re-use parts of the current Weather database.
Should we try to do that first before designing a new database?

- Abhiram, it seems like you spent more time with the current Weather
code base than Norbert or I.  Would you want to find out how we'd
integrate Norbert's daily script and later the hourly script into
existing Weather and how these scripts would talk back to Weather to
send out emails and talk to the database?

I suggested two tasks as possible next steps on the wiki.  Maybe tweak
them and add your initials if you want to grab them.  (And feel free to
add more task ideas, or in general make the wiki page better.)

All the best,
Karsten