[tor-dev] GSoC project idea: pluggable transport that hides data in TCP SEQ numbers / UDP SRC ports

Andreas Krey a.krey at gmx.de
Fri Jan 10 07:57:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 00:19:32 +0000, Jim Rucker wrote:
> This is an attempt at security though obscurity,

I think you mean 'nondiscoverability through obscurity';
transport security would be in a different layer. What is
tunneled in an obscure way is still the regular tor
protocol which provide encryption on their own.

Also the question is not 'can it be detected' but
'can a detector be integrated into existing filter
systems, how long would that take, and is it worth
the trouble'.

> On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM, George Danezis <georged at gmail.com> wrote:
> > used can be extended to other operating systems. A message can thus be
> > hidden in such a way that an attacker cannot demonstrate its existence
> > without knowledge of a secret key.

Also, this exactly does *not* sound like 'obscurity'.

Andreas

--
"Totally trivial. Famous last words."
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@*.org>