[tor-dev] GSoC project idea: pluggable transport that hides data in TCP SEQ numbers / UDP SRC ports

George Danezis georged at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 16:09:29 UTC 2014

Hello Jacek and all,

Before, going down this path I would recommend reading the very relevant
works:

*Embedding Covert Channels into TCP/IP*
*Steven J. Murdoch, Stephen Lewis <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Esrl32/>*
It is commonly believed that steganography within TCP/IP is easily achieved
by embedding data in header fields seemingly filled with “random” data,
such as the IP identifier, TCP initial sequence number or the least
significant bit of the TCP timestamp. We show that this is not the case;
these fields naturally exhibit sufficient structure and non-uniformity to
be efficiently and reliably differentiated from unmodified ciphertext.
Previous work on TCP/IP steganography does not take this into account and,
by examining TCP/IP specifications and open source implementations, we have
developed tests to detect the use of naïve embedding. Finally, we describe
reversible transforms that map block cipher output into TCP ISNs,
indistinguishable from those generated by Linux and OpenBSD. The techniques
used can be extended to other operating systems. A message can thus be
hidden in such a way that an attacker cannot demonstrate its existence
without knowledge of a secret key.
*7th Information Hiding Workshop <http://www.uoc.edu/symposia/ih05/>,
Barcelona, Catalonia (Spain), 06–08 June 2005. Published in LNCS 3727
<http://www.springerlink.com/content/978-3-540-29039-1/>, Springer-Verlag.*[
paper <http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/%7Esjm217/papers/ih05coverttcp.pdf> ]

and

John Giffen, Rachel Greenstadt, Peter Litwack, Richard Tibbetts, Covert
Messaging in TCP<https://www.cs.drexel.edu/%7Egreenie/eecs_files/tcpcovertchannels.pdf>,
Privacy Enhancing Technologies (PET), April 2002 <http://www.pet2002.org>

Best regards,

George