[tor-dev] Dusting off dir-spec.txt

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Mon Jan 6 18:58:09 UTC 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 2:56 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
> [Re-sending, because my first attempt apparently got lost somewhere.
> Apologies if gets found and this is now a duplicate.]
>

> Hi devs, hi dir-spec.txt authors,
>
> when I reviewed the open proposals related to the directory protocol, I
> wondered how to integrate the proposed changes into dir-spec.txt.

Oops; I missed this sentence, and should send a quick reminder: we
don't actually integrate proposals into the specs until after the code
is merged. (See proposal 001-process.txt) We learned this lesson from
the bad old days when our specifications were a mix of reality and
aspiration.

I figure that you probably knew this, but just in case, I should
probably stop you from wasting time on merging unimplemented
proposals.

(To clarify: Nothing I've said in this email means we *shouldn't*
update dir-spec.txt for readability and maintainability.)

peace,
--
Nick