[tor-dev] Small FTE question

Kevin P Dyer kpdyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 17:54:41 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 6:20 AM, George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
> Hello Kevin,
>
> I saw your recent changes to the FTE codebase. The code looks nice!
>
> I then tried to test it, but I got a bit confused by the CLI. I wanted to
> try the good ol' ncat test, where I put FTE in the middle, an ncat
> listener on the server side, and an ncat client on the client side, and
> throw bytes around. How would I do that with the FTE CLI? I looked at
> https://fteproxy.org/docs/0.2/fteproxy.html but I'm not sure how to use
> the server_port and client_port switches properly. Can I configure the
> client-side to push data to a specific destination, or is it always a
> SOCKS listener?

As a first place to start, it is probably best to have a look at
"systemtests" in the root of the fteproxy source. This might be
sufficient for your purposes.

The longer answer: When not run in managed mode (--managed), fteproxy
runs as a simple TCP proxy. Included in the fteproxy code is
"bin/socksproxy" which I spin up and is destination for all data
received by the fteproxy server. So, the typical (non Tor) testing
scenario is:

[SOCKS client] < - > [fteproxy client] < - > [fteproxy server] < - >
[SOCKS server]

* Socks client connects to the port specified as client_port on the
fteproxy client.
* The specified server port should be the same on the fteproxy client
and server.
* The fteproxy server proxy_port should be the port that the SOCKS
server is listening on.

> Also, is there a way to make fteproxy increase its logging verbosity?

Not at the moment. In the big refactor I did in Nov. I deleted lots of
code and codified everything as unit tests. I'll think about ways to
include a helpful verbosity parameter [1] for deployment.

-Kevin

[1] https://github.com/kpdyer/fteproxy/issues/101