[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - December 2013

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Jan 1 23:09:36 UTC 2014

Hi all, hope you've enjoyed the holidays (and for a few of you CCC)! This
December I finally swapped back to focusing on arm in earnest. Good news is
that the codebase is rapidly improving [1], the focus for this month being...

  * Finished overhauling the starter module.
  * Expanded test coverage as more of arm gets rewritten.
  * Integrated pyflakes and pep8 with our tests.
  * Moved user facing strings to the internal configuration. I did this to
    improve our code, but it could also allow us to add internationalization
    support to arm in the future if folks want it. [2]

Bad news is unfortunately that none of these improvements are user facing, and
even by the rosiest estimates arm's next release is still many months off.

This December I also finished with my efforts to revise our internal lists.
None of the more substantial changes got much support, but this still resulted
in some worthwhile improvements...

  * A wiki with our lists, maintainers, and a brief summary of each...

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/emailLists

  * We now have a public, documented policy for adding folks to our internal
    lists.

  * The tor-assistants list is now a proper subset of tor-internal.

  * Identified some unused lists we can drop. [3]

Cheers! -Damian

[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/shortlog/5eebd00?hp=ff27d2a
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/arm.git/blob/HEAD:/arm/config/strings.cfg
[3] https://trac.torproject.org/10463