[tor-dev] tor2web proposal: comments appreciated before I commit this

Virgil Griffith i at virgil.gr
Fri Feb 28 20:03:10 UTC 2014

Filename: ???-quickening-tor2webmode.txt
Title: Making Tor2Web mode faster
Author: Virgil Griffith, Fabio Pietrosanti, Giovanni Pellerano
Created: 2014-02-23

1. Introduction
While chatting with the Tor archons at the winter meeting, two speed
optimizations for tor2web mode [1] were put forward.  This proposal
specifies concretizes these two optimizations.  As with the current
tor2web mode, this quickened tor2web mode negates any client
anonymity.

2. Tor2web optimizations
 2.1) self-rendezvous
   In the current tor2web mode, the client establishes a 0-hop circuit
(direct connection) to a chosen rendezvous point.
   We propose that, alternatively, the client set *itself* as the
rendezvous point. This coincides with ticket #9685 [2].

 2.2) direct-introduction
   Identical to the non-tor2web mode, in the current tor2web mode, the
client establishes a 3-hop circuit to the introduction point.
   We propose that, alternatively, the client build a 1-hop (or
0-hop?) circuit to the introduction point.

4. References
[1] Tor2web mode: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/2553
[2] Self-rendezvous: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/9685