[tor-dev] [draft]: Proposal xxx: Pluggable transport SOCKS5 extensions

Yawning Angel yawning at schwanenlied.me
Tue Feb 25 22:54:32 UTC 2014

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 22:30:06 +0100
"Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)" <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:

> Il 2/25/14, 11:15 AM, Yawning Angel ha scritto:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > To address bug #10671: "Pluggable Transports: Improve method of
> > transferring parameters to client-side transports", I submit the
> > enclosed proposal for consideration.

> Please consider integrating within SOCKS protocol related extension
> proposals also the ones needes by Tor2web described at

Skimming the ticket, it looks like the extensions discussed there are
orthogonal to what this proposal is aimed at.

To be specific, this proposal is aimed at the SOCKS server that is run
in a pluggable transport binary (obfsproxy, obfsclient, and others),
with tor acting as the SOCKS client.

While there may be other possible uses for the extended authentication
mechanism or response codes (In particular, it could be useful for the
Tor Browser to pass out of band data on a per connection basis to Tor),
use in such contexts should probably be discussed separately, as design
considerations that apply when we do not control and define both the
client and server side of the link start to apply.

Regards,

--
Yawning Angel