[tor-dev] GSOC Idea

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Mon Feb 24 18:09:06 UTC 2014

> Hi Damian, nice to know you. I wanted to suggest using Tor for web scraping,
> I mean, like creating a feature like Firebug/XPather are for Mozilla
> Firefox. That would easily help users to scrape easily and anonymously. Can
> this be considered as a valid idea for a GSOC project?

Hi Devang. The requirements for GSoC are...

1. The project must include a sizable amount of coding (for instance,
usability studies can't be the focus).
2. The project requires a mentor, so you need to convince some core
tor devs that this project is a good idea.
3. Each org has a limited number of slots so your project will need to
make us more excited than the other proposals.

For my part I'm not clear on what's involved with this project nor the
benefits so you'll need to discuss this idea with other developers to
find someone interested in mentoring it. If you don't get a reply here
then I'd suggest the #tor-dev irc channel on oftc.

Cheers! -Damian