[tor-dev] Accessing hidden services with TAP or ntor

Jens Kubieziel maillist at kubieziel.de
Thu Feb 20 20:44:03 UTC 2014

Hi,

we had some discussions during the dev meeting regarding hidden services
and why users sometimes report that the access to them fails. The
general problem might be that the specific hidden service doesn't exist
anymore. However in some cases the HS exists (see
<URL:http://tor.stackexchange.com/q/1442/88> as an example).

So one theory was that the transistion from TAP to ntor might cause
problems. I tried to test it and found no evidence so far.

What did I do? I checked out the current Tor source from git and the
tor-0.2.3.25 tagged version. I built both versions and gave them a
minimal torrc (SocksPort, Log, DataDir, ControlPort). After the Tor
process built a circuit I used a random page from the hidden wiki and
tried to access it. If it failed, I tried either the HS from TorProject
or DDG. If it succeeded, I built a new circuit and tried another HS.

During the first tests I used the hotel network, which was kind of
flaky. With a more stable connection I tested nearly 20 hidden services
and found no difference in the behaviour of both Tor versions. Both
failed on one random HS and opened all other reasonably fast.

While this is no final proof it is good evidence that there is no
connection between failing hidden services and TAP/ntor. So maybe we
need another theory to test. ;)

--
Jens Kubieziel                                   http://www.kubieziel.de
I just found out that the brain is like a computer.