[tor-dev] gsoc-2014

Nick Mathewson nickm at alum.mit.edu
Sun Feb 16 15:51:45 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 16, 2014 at 8:59 AM, G.VAMSHI KRISHNA REDDY
<vamshikrishna.gunreddy at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi, I am vamshi pursuing B-Tech in CSE and MS by Research in CSE at
> IIIT Hyderabad(currently second year). I am interested in
> participating gsoc-2014 by doing project under your organization.
>
> I am familiar with python and interested doing the project in python
> language by contributing to the python tool Chutney.Can anyone suggest
> me how to get started with this tool
> and how to go further in applying for this organization for doing project this
> summer.

Hello, Vamshi!

(To be clear, I don't think we've received notification of being
accepted to GSoC 2014 yet.  Although we have been accepted in past
years, that's no guarantee of being accepted this year, so let's hope
and see.)

The best way to see whether Chutney would be a good fit for you would
be to download and build Tor and Chutney, experiment with them to see
how they work, and to look through the Chutney source to see where you
could improve it.  You might also want to look through the
Tor-controller library called "stem" -- it has some functionality that
could be used to improve Chutney.

Make sure not to miss the "src/test/test-network.sh" target in Tor's
makefile: it runs a very simple integration test.

When we're selecting gsoc students, one of the criteria that we use
the most is quality of existing code, especially in code and patches
submitted to open source projects.  We also look at online
participation as a guideline for how well the students can participate
on projects online.

(Of course, this is email is not a replacement for whatever else is
written online, at our site and elsewhere, about making an effective
gsoc application.)

best wishes,
--
Nick