[tor-dev] [Discussion] 5 ^H 3 hops rendezvous circuit design

Paul Syverson paul.syverson at nrl.navy.mil
Wed Feb 12 04:53:14 UTC 2014

Hi all,

Apologies for top-posting. I'm making a brief comment about general
concerns in this design. Additional apologies if something already
said obviates my comments. I have purposely not looked at most of the
developments in HS design changes because they are _too_ interesting
to me and I have had to make sure to keep my focus on some other
features of Tor where progress is needed.

The biggest concern is that no matter how you handle the commitment
and the size of the flexible set, you make it fairly easy for a HS
simply following this protocol precisely and with just the resource of
a handful of other nodes (n) in the network to identify the client
guard with certainty each time. (If he owns less than n, it becomes a
likelihood rather than a certainty each time. Alternatively if he owns
a few ASes or IXPs he could accomplish similar results with a judicious
choice of the network location of all n.) Given the push
elsewhere to use single guards for long periods, this makes guard
nodes all the more likely to face subpoena or other forms of attack
since the argument that this is a successful strategy to locate
clients of interest is greatly strengthened. Since the HS can choose
two hops that it does not object to, the client should be similarly
protected, i.e., four relays in the circuit overall.

The other big concern is that this looks like there are many places
to DoS or resource deplete the hidden service. Earlier designs kept
per introduction connection state for the HS to a minimum. There may
be ways to reduce that, but it is an important consideration.

aloha,
Paul