[tor-dev] Using MaxMind's GeoIP2 databases in tor, BridgeDB, metrics-*, Onionoo, etc.

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Mon Feb 3 15:23:19 UTC 2014

On 30/01/14 19:31, Nick Mathewson wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:53 PM, Nick Mathewson <nickm at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 16, 2014 at 5:15 AM, Karsten Loesing <karsten at torproject.org> wrote:
>   [...]
>>> Another option is to write a new tool that parses their full databases
>>> and converts them into file formats we already support
>   [...]
>>
>> Writing our own parser seems goofy.
>
> Then again, I'm a goofy guy, and though the format's kinda ugly, I've
> seen much worse.
>
> https://github.com/nmathewson/mmdb-convert
>
> If we use this thing, we should move it over into src/config in Tor.
>
> It needs more hacking and testing, but at least it's pure python.

This is great!

I started trying it out and reviewing it.  I'm planning to improve it
this week until it writes geoip and geoip6 files that we can then place
into src/config/.  (And I'm thinking about using the same file in
Onionoo and dropping city information there, for simplicity.)

Thanks for starting this!

All the best,
Karsten