[tor-dev] Proposal draft: Better hidden service stats from Tor relays

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Mon Dec 8 18:46:56 UTC 2014

George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> writes:

> Hello there,
>
> I inline a copy of a proposal we've been working on lately. Discussion
> can be found in the "Feedback on obfuscating hidden-service statistics"
> thread.
>
> The proposal suggests that Tor relays add some stats about hidden
> service usage. We believe that these stats are not dangerous and can
> be useful to Tor developers and to people who want to understand
> hidden services and the onionspace better.
>
> Any feedback is appreciated :)

Hello,

I inline a better version of that proposal.

This version has more information about the obfuscation methods
deployed. I also moved some paragraphs around to make the
implementation parts faster to skim through.

I currently like the proposal. Maybe an area that could be improved is
a better format than:
    "hidserv-rend-relayed-cells" SP num SP key=val SP key=val ... NL
however it seems that this format is quite easy to generate using
little-t-tor, and should not be too hard to parse either.

If people like this proposal please feel free to merge it to torspec.git.

BTW, implementation of this has already started at:

You can  also find this proposal at:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/asn/torspec.git/log/?h=hs_stats

Feedback is welcome!

Filename: 238-hs-relay-stats.txt
Title: Better hidden service stats from Tor relays