[tor-dev] Fwd: [guardian-dev] Orfox: New Firefox-based Android Private/Secure Browser

Nathan Freitas nathan at freitas.net
Wed Aug 20 18:06:34 UTC 2014

On 08/20/2014 01:58 PM, Jordan wrote:

> I, for one, can't use Firefox, though I'd love to. FF eats up too much memory
> on my device to the point where my device becomes unusable. I'm not sure if
> anyone else has that experience.

It is a big app, and since it doesn't rely on the built-in WebView
components in Android, does take up a lot of memory. I do use it as my
primary browser on my Nexus 7 and Moto E, and it seems to work fine
without much hassle.

> As an aside, I've had in mind to add features to Orweb (like very simple
> tabbing, bookmarks, etc.) to make it more user-friendly.

Ultimately, we decided that building our own browser from scratch was
too much work.

If you want a nice, full featured Android browser app that incorporates
built-in support for Orbot and proxying, you should try Lightning:
https://github.com/anthonycr/Lightning-Browser

We will be deprecating Orweb in favor of Orfox and Lightning this fall.

+n