[tor-dev] ooniprobe 1.1.0 is out!

Arturo Filastò art at torproject.org
Tue Aug 19 13:45:16 UTC 2014

Hello beautiful humans!

We are very pleased to announce that a new version of ooniprobe is now out.

In this new release of ooniprobe we have added a new command line tool
for listing the reports that have not been published to a collector and
that allows the probe operator to choose which ones they would like to
upload.

We have also made some privacy improvements to the reports (we will
sanitize all things that may look like file paths) and added metadata
associated with the maxmind database being used by the probe operator.

Here is a more detailed list of what has been done:

* Annotate on disk which reports we have submitted and which ones we
  have not:

* Add tool called oonireport for publishing unpublished ooniprobe
  reports to a
  collector: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/11862

* Probe Report does not leak filepaths anymore:

* Reports now include version information about the maxmind database
  being used: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/12771

* We now do integrity checks on the ooniprobe.conf file so that we
  don't start the tool if the config file is missing some settings
  or is not consistent:
  (thanks to Alejandro López (kudrom))

* Improvements have been made to the sniffer subsystem
  (thanks to Alejandro López (kudrom))

* Fix the multi protocol traceroute test.

Minor bug fixes:

* Fix dns_spoof test (by kudrom)

* ooni might not look at requiresTor:

* ooni spits out gobs of tracebacks if Tor is not running and the OONI
  config says it will be:

* The README for ooni-probe should mention the bugtracker and repository

For the moment you can download the new version from pypi here:
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/ooniprobe.

Soon a there will also be a new debian package for it (thank to Lunar^).

As always feedback is greatly appreciated so please submit any bugs you
may find to our bug tracker:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/newticket?component=Ooni

Have fun!

~ Art.