[tor-dev] Proposal: All Relays are Directory Servers

Tim t_ebay at icloud.com
Tue Aug 19 12:33:47 UTC 2014

On 19 Aug 2014, at 22:00 , tor-dev-request at lists.torproject.org wrote:

> Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 01:32:25 +0000
> From: Matthew Finkel <matthew.finkel at gmail.com>
> To: tor-dev at lists.torproject.org
> Subject: Re: [tor-dev] Proposal: All Relays are Directory Servers
>
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 02:17:28PM -0400, Nick Mathewson wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM, Matthew Finkel
>> <matthew.finkel at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Filename: xxx-directory-servers-for-all.txt
>>> Title: All relays are directory servers
>>> Author: Matthew Finkel
>>> Created: 29-Jul-2014
>>> Target: 0.2.6.x
>>>
>>> Overview:
>>>
>>>    This proposal aims at removing part of the distinction between the
>>> relay and the directory server. Currently operators have the options
>>> of being one of: a relay, a directory server, or both.  With the
>>> acceptance of this proposal the options will be simplified to being
>>> either only a directory server or a combined relay and directory
>>> server. All relays will serve directory requests.
>>
>> FWIW, we don't support being only a directory server right now, do we?
>>

> Nope, you're right. Bad assumption.
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git/blob/390728d85644a6c062d6807ffc096343d1c1e73e:/src/or/config.c#l2565

Looking at the details of parse_ports(), the warning/comment isn't entirely accurate: it seems that any configured "port" is enough to disable the warning (even a DirPort, ControlPort/ControlSocket(!), or ExtORPort).
Which is why I'm not seeing it on the directory-only tor instance I have configured.

Then again, the core message is accurate - a tor instance that doesn't act as a tor client or relay isn't going to do much.

Tim