[tor-dev] [GSoC] Consensus diffs - Sixth report

Daniel Martí mvdan at mvdan.cc
Sun Aug 17 22:39:17 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

This is the sixth and last status report of my Google Summer of Code
project, which is to implement consensus diffs for Tor.

Two weeks ago I had two main tasks left for the project to get to a
minimal functioning state. The first was to figure out a clean way to
cache old consensuses on disk. The second was to write the fetching of
consensus diffs, and the corresponding serving of consensus diffs via
spooling.

Both of these were done, and last week I was able to launch a small
local network via chutney and finally see consensus diffs be properly
generated, served, fetched and applied.

The hard pencils down date is tomorrow evening. I want to polish things
up a bit and try to find last-minute bugs. Of course there will be quite
a bit of work left once GSoC is over to get the outcome of this project
included in Tor.

Other than that, I'm quite happy with how the project turned out. I
intend to continue contributing to Tor, at least to the extent of
getting the code merged into master and fixing any bugs that may arise
until it is suitable for a stable release.

I'll continue pushing my work on Github [1] for now. See the "readme"
branch for reference on what the consdiff-N branches mean.

Regards.

[1] https://github.com/mvdan/tor

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan at mvdan.cc - http://mvdan.cc/
PGP: A9DA 13CD F7A1 4ACD D3DE  E530 F4CA FFDB 4348 041C