[tor-dev] UX Idea - A controller inside TBB

Arlo Breault arlo at torproject.org
Wed Aug 13 15:22:09 UTC 2014

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Matthew Finkel wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 08, 2014 at 11:16:12PM +0200, Arlo Breault wrote:
> > I started working on something like this a little while ago,
> > https://github.com/arlolra/bulb
> >
> > but didn't manage to stir up much interest.
> >
> > I'm happy to continue with it if anyone wants to collaborate.
> >
> > Arlo
>
> Hey Arlo,
Sorry for the slow reply.

> Did you start working on this again? Having something like this
> is actually really important. It would be awesome to get this
> functionality in Tor Browser again. Nima's design looks really
> good. I think a lot of people would be happy to see something
> like that.

It sounds like the TorBrowser team are well on their way to
integrating these features in Tor Button / Launcher.

> Do you think this should be based on bulb or should it start
> from scratch?

The intention with bulb was to provide a web interface on
localhost. In light of the above, it probably better serves
relay operators and traffic not originating from TorBrowser.

I opened a ticket to take inspiration from Nima’s design,
https://github.com/arlolra/bulb/issues/3

> I looked at doing this about a month ago and
> considered adding it directly into TorButton. Maybe it is better
> to use Python/Stem for the backend. Thoughts?

I think these are separate projects that can coexist.

Arlo