[tor-dev] [tor-talk] Tor Research Framework update

Tim t_ebay at icloud.com
Tue Aug 12 01:59:58 UTC 2014

Hi George,

I'm still trying to work out exactly how to go about fuzzing Tor. So far, I've been to defined an initial problem space, configured a test environment, and explored some fuzzing libraries / tools.

Fuzzing Problem Space

We started by looking at fuzzing Tor directory download requests over HTTP. This seemed like a manageable initial chunk of work.

I sketched an early draft design[0], and developed an annotated grammar for Tor directory requests[1] based on the Tor directory spec[2].

Configuring a Test Environment

I created scripts and configuration files to build, run and monitor a local-only tor directory cache.[3] I configured hardened, typical, and feature-full builds, all with dmalloc to catch memory access errors. I plan to start testing on the feature-full build, then re-test failures against the builds with smaller surfaces.

Exploring Fuzzing Tools / Libraries

JBroFuzz[4] is a HTTP / browser fuzzer written in Java. (tor-research-framework is also written in Java.) It focuses on exhaustive iteration through a set of alternatives.

I anticipate using JBroFuzz as a library to generate correct and near-correct requests to a tor instance. It may also be useful interactively, although the included analysis / graphing tools didn't work in my build. (And it's listed as "inactive".)

Thanks for the pointer to radamsa[5], it looks like it's much more structure-aware than many of the other black-box fuzzes I've looked at. I could imagine using radamsa to mutate correct requests on their way to tor. (JBroFuzz isn't designed to do random mutation.)

I've also looked at at zzuf[6], which appears unloved, but is incorporated into the CERT Basic Fuzzing Framework[7]. The set of zuff/BFF mutations is limited to bit-level flips, and isn't syntax-aware. Hooking into all the target process' file descriptors is neat, but it requires a local(-only) process to fuzz.

Results

Certain parts of directory request URLs get written to the tor debug log unescaped.[8] But the effect is severely limited: it simply makes reading the log in a terminal irritating (including BEL, DEL, and CR effects - the BEL effect was how I discovered the issue).

Further Work

These are the tasks I can think of:

1. Write JBroFuzz iterators for valid Tor directory requests
2. Mutate valid requests with radamsa / BFF / ?
3. Define "failure" of tor to process a request "correctly" (crashes? memory access? more?)
4. Configure dmalloc on fuzzing target builds (to crash? on "failure")
5. Automate request logging and failure identification
6. Work out how to confirm and report failures responsibly

[0] https://github.com/twilsonb/tor-research-framework/blob/master/src/test/DESIGN
[1] https://github.com/twilsonb/tor-research-framework/blob/master/src/test/DIRECTORY_URL_SPEC
[2] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob/HEAD:/dir-spec.txt
[3] https://github.com/twilsonb/tor-research-framework/tree/master/src/test