[tor-dev] Damian's Status Report - July 2014

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Aug 6 16:32:17 UTC 2014

For one brief, glorious moment in time I touched code. Really, it happened!
House plants can vouch as my witness.

Or that is to say, I've coded a lot less than I'd like. Barring a long overdue
vacation to Sol Duc this month went toward a lot of random distractions...

  * Worked with Philipp on overhauling our procedure for flagging bad
    relays...

    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ReportingBadRelays

    Philipp's taken the lead here and is doing a great job! While I find this
    space interesting I'm already spread too thin, so going forward I won't be
    a co-maintainer for it after all. :(

  * Looked over Nick Hopper's consensus validation change, adding crypto blob
    type validation to simplify his work. I now owe him a more thorough code
    review. (#11045)

  * Handful of DocTor issues including OOM troubles (#12457), unpleasant
    amount of noise from consensus parameters (#12708), and a several minor
    revisions.

  * Discussed adding a new X- extrainfo descriptor field with Virgil,
    suggesting revisions and helping him make it conformant with the spec.

  * System I do development on died a puzzling death. Even after twenty hours
    investigating I'm still not quite sure what happened. Cleaning out dust,
    removing the RAID controller, and starting over seems to have done the
    trick.

  * GSoC administrative work. We're now less than two weeks from the final
    evaluations!

  * Continued overhauling arm but as already mentioned focused on this a lot
    less on this than I'd like.

So little coding makes me grumpy, so like many of you I'm taking a hard look
at where my time's evaporating to. Maybe there's something I can change or
extricate myself from to better focus.

Cheers! -Damian