[tor-dev] How to present multiple meek backends in Tor Launcher?

Mark Smith mcs at pearlcrescent.com
Tue Aug 5 15:07:57 UTC 2014

On 8/3/14, 2:37 AM, David Fifield wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 02, 2014 at 11:28:08PM -0700, David Fifield wrote:
>> I made some test meek bundles that are capable of using the Amazon
>> CloudFront CDN as a backend, in addition to Google App Engine that was
>> supported before.
>>
>> https://people.torproject.org/~dcf/pt-bundle/3.6.3-meek-2/
>>
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/meek#AmazonCloudFront
>>
>> To test it, go to the pluggable transport screen, and choose
>> "meek-amazon" from the selection box.
>
> I opened a ticket to discuss how this user interface can be improved.

> While it's easy to add new entries like this (see
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/attachment/ticket/12777/0001-Add-an-option-to-use-meek-through-CloudFront.patch),
> I'm worried that it's not so clear for most users. On what are they
> supposed to base their decision? How could it be better?
>
> A possibility is that we could include just one option in the bundles,
> and distribute the others from BridgeDB or support assistants.

Would it be possible (and safe for users) for meek to try Google and
then try Amazon upon failure?  It seems like that is what users will
need to do themselves, unless they have access to other information such
as "meek-google is not a good choice in my country but meek-amazon might
work."

--
Mark Smith
Pearl Crescent