[tor-dev] carml: tasty treats from your Tor

Leif Ryge leif at synthesize.us
Mon Aug 4 22:03:04 UTC 2014

Thanks for writing this, meejah! Awesome tool. I'm seeing some rather strange
things in its "monitor" output though, indicating either bugs in it, or in tor,
or that something is wrong with my system, or perhaps that Tor has some
behavior I don't know about :/

For instance:

Circuit 398 () is LAUNCHED for purpose "GENERAL"
Circuit 398 (tornodenl) is EXTENDED for purpose "GENERAL"
Circuit 398 (tornodenl->Kaarli) is EXTENDED for purpose "GENERAL"
Circuit 398 (tornodenl->Kaarli->CompSciR0x) is EXTENDED for purpose "GENERAL"
Circuit 398 (tornodenl->Kaarli->CompSciR0x) is BUILT for purpose "GENERAL"

the above seems normal, but then some time later...

Circuit 398 (tornodenl->Kaarli->CompSciR0x->FlappyBird) is EXTENDED for purpose "GENERAL"
Circuit 398 (tornodenl->Kaarli->CompSciR0x->FlappyBird) is BUILT for purpose "GENERAL"
Stream 2509 to 217.23.4.123.$EABB28C6030D78A98B0D8E3BF583463F49C04C59.exit:9001 attached via circuit 398

I've seen this happen several times: four hop circuits, followed by streams to
the last hop using the .exit notation (that IP and fingerprint are for the
relay FlappyBird, according to Atlas). I don't have AllowDotExit enabled in my
torrc, fwiw.

I'm also occassionally seeing single-hop circuits in the output of "circ -L",
though I haven't noticed one being used yet.

Any ideas?

~leif