[tor-dev] Proposal 236 and the guardiness of a guard

George Kadianakis desnacked at riseup.net
Fri Aug 1 11:39:26 UTC 2014

Nicholas Hopper <hopper at cs.umn.edu> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:24 AM, George Kadianakis
> <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
>> - You can see that old guards (like RichardFeynman) see a shrinkage
>>   both on their guard and on their middle probabilities. This happens
>>   because both the total guard weight and the total middle weight get
>>   bigger [5], so their weight percentage gets smaller.
>
> This doesn't sound right - total guard weight shouldn't change.  All
> the proposal does is re-allocate some fraction of the weight of a
> guard back to the middle (M) category.

Oops, you are right!

On my previous post, please disregard anything that had to do with
guards probabilities then.

In this light, the behavior with Guard+Exit is good. That is, even for
young guards (that are also exits), their middle probability is
decreased, hence prioritizing exit traffic.

Also thanks for the comments on the #9321 questions.

Moving forward!