[tor-dev] GsoC: Revamp GetTor

Nima Fatemi nima at riseup.net
Mon Apr 28 21:48:04 UTC 2014

Hi Israel,

Following are my comments on your proposal[1], that I've mentioned on
IRC earlier today.

Sukhbir, Roger and others are more than welcome to share their inputs.

1- wrt cloud-storage mirrors and private git-repo, ideally the links
shouldn't be stored anywhere at all. Sending an email to gettor should
be the only way to get a link.

Maybe we should generate unique URLs for each request, so in case the
censors blocked or limited access to SSL, we could serve the unique
links over HTTP.

So the scenario in my mind is something like:

user asks for a bundle -> gettor generates new urls on cloud (either by
fetching the latest bundle from dist or recycling old urls) -> reply to
user with urls, keeps the urls for a while -> then either remove or
recycle the links.

2- I find Skype distribution method, a terrible idea for many reasons.
Instead, we could aim for XMPP (with and without OTR support).

3- Having an smart core module to understand a request like "Give me the
URL links for TBB in this language" is cool but we need to make sure it
wouldn't break or cause problems when we start to get requests in 10
different languages.

Just my 2cents.

[1]: https://ileiva.github.io/gettor_proposal.html

Best of luck and happy coding,

--
Nima
0XC009DB191C92A77B | @nimaaa | mrphs

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right
to say it" --Evelyn Beatrice Hall