[tor-dev] Panopticlick summer project

Gunes Acar gunes.acar at esat.kuleuven.be
Tue Apr 22 15:33:18 UTC 2014

On 04/22/2014 10:35 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:
> Gunes Acar:
>> Sorry everyone for the long pause.
>>
>> I wrote down a proposal (and some code) to address issues raised
>> by Mike and George:
>> https://securehomes.esat.kuleuven.be/~gacar/summer_2014.pdf
>>
>> Looking for your comments and critics...
>
> I am happy with getting 1), 2) and 3) done in that order but am a
> bit wondering why that does not match your suggestion in the
> timeline. There you plan doing something like 2) (+ maybe the
> "Implement fingerprinting tests" from 1)), 3) and 1). Is there a
> reason for this? I am asking as porting the Panopticlick and
> getting something live to use seems to be the most tricky part of
> your proposal (I might be wrong here, though). Having this as the
> last item to work on contains the nonnegligible risk that it won't
> get finished which would we sad...

Sorry for putting it in a confusing way. The reason was that there is
a strong chance that after August I'll be able to access the
Panopticlick data (and probably the code), as an EFF
volunteer/contractor. I thought it might be a better idea to work
after that, assuming Peter may give some valuable advices on the
process too. If code gets published before August, I can start to work
earlier.

Also what is missing in the timeplan is my intention to implement
~everything except the backend a part of the QA process, and then
reuse the code in the ultimate website (your suggestion). In addition
to the new tests, I'll be working on the machine readable output,
entropy calculation and submitting test machine fingerprints to a
central database as a part of (2).

Let me know if that makes sense or I can revise the timeplan (e.g.
leave (3) to the end).