[tor-dev] GSoC: Implement consensus diffs

Daniel Martí mvdan at mvdan.cc
Tue Apr 22 15:02:23 UTC 2014

Hello everyone,

My name is Daniel and this summer I'll be working on consensus diffs
[0], heavily based on proposal 140 [1]. This should allow for quicker
and scalable consensus udpates, which will have more weight as the
consensus grows larger. I've never gotten involved in Tor before, so I'm
really looking forward to this summer.

My intention is to use a simplified ed format as described on proposal
140, but I am open to alternatives and suggestions. As far as the diff
creation algorithm, I plan on using a dynamic programming algorithm for
the Longest Common Substring problem. Like before, comments are very
welcome.

I will spend the following couple of weeks looking at alternative diff
formats and algorithms, rather than start coding this early. It would be
appreciated if any ideas regarding any of the two aspects were posed
during this time, so that afterward I can start their implementation.

I will always be lurking on #tor-dev, #tor-project and #tor under the
nick 'mvdan'. I am also subscribed to the tor-dev and tor-talk mailing
lists. And lastly, my PGP fingerprint is below - encrypted mail is
welcome :)

Regards.

[0] https://www.torproject.org/getinvolved/volunteer.html.en#consensusDiffs
[1] https://gitweb.torproject.org/torspec.git/blob_plain/refs/heads/master:/proposals/140-consensus-diffs.txt

--
Daniel Martí - mvdan at mvdan.cc - http://mvdan.cc/
PGP: A9DA 13CD F7A1 4ACD D3DE  E530 F4CA FFDB 4348 041C