[tor-dev] Python Only Tor Client?

Jacob Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Mon Apr 21 15:56:55 UTC 2014

On 4/21/14, Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) <lists at infosecurity.ch> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> does anyone know of any work to make a Python Only Tor Client, that just
> enable to expose a Tor Hidden Service?
>
> It would be very cool if it would be possible to avoid "Tor binary" as a
> dependency for Globaleaks, making it pure Python application code.
>
> The questions are:
>
> - Are there projects that foresee to do something like that?
>
> - From a Tor Project perspective, does it make sense?
>
> - From a Security perspective, are there strong security implications in
> doing so?

I think it makes sense - the effort will be similar to Orchid which is
written in pure Java. It is a great deal of work. If someone were to
serious consider this effort - I think they should probably talk
extensively with Nick, Roger, Andrea and probably also Bruce (who
wrote Orchid) as they're probably the four most qualified people to
make suggestions.

All the best,
Jacob