[tor-dev] Panopticlick summer project

Gunes Acar gunes.acar at esat.kuleuven.be
Mon Apr 21 14:03:34 UTC 2014

On Mon 21 Apr 2014 02:21:35 PM CEST, Mike Perry wrote:
> Gunes Acar: Sorry everyone for the long pause.
>
> I wrote down a proposal (and some code) to address issues raised
> by Mike and George:
> https://securehomes.esat.kuleuven.be/~gacar/summer_2014.pdf
>
> Looking for your comments and critics...
>
>> This proposal looks like quite a good start. With respect to
>> automated testing, you should definitely discuss this with
>> Nicolas Vigier, who is our lead automation engineer. He has begun
>> writing TBB automation tests, and can help you integrate your
>> tests into that framework. You can see a few links to the
>> existing testing infrastructure at in the QA and testing section
>> of the TBB hacking doc:
>> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorBrowser/Hacking#QAandTesting

Sure,

I already have some questions noted down for him.
But I must say the framework he set up is pretty easy to extend.
I could add and run my tests in minutes.

>> With respect to the rest of it, my main immediate question is how
>> we should separate the results by Tor Browser version. Tor
>> Browser currently reports its user agent string as the Windows
>> build of the Firefox ESR release it is based off of, with no
>> minor version.
>
>> This likely means we want users who are comfortable submitting
>> their results to the dataset to select their specific TBB version
>> (which is visible in the upper-right corner of about:tor).
>> However, if they get this wrong, it may bias results. :/

I'd prefer minimizing the user intervention. Maybe we can modify
Torbutton to place a link to test suite on about:tor page that
includes TBB version in the URL (or as a hidden form field). We may
have the same link somewhere in the Torbutton drop down menu.

And if we want to link to the test suite from a web site, we may
redirect users through about:tor?run=fptest to collect and pass the
TBB version automatically. Or have a about:fingerprint page that does
the same.

Still we may need some sanity checks to protect data from potential
polluters (crafting URLs with the fake TBB version), if that's ever
possible.

Peter says he has some reluctance to open source the project