[tor-dev] Feedback on recent Globe improvements

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Apr 2 13:40:10 UTC 2014

On 02/04/14 11:46, thomas lörtsch wrote:
> nice work! One nitpick: if the legend to the left was colour coded
> like the graphs I would not need to hover over the graphs to see
> which curve reflects which category.

Right, I asked the same thing on the ticket:

> I was thinking about how it could be possible to combine all
> perspectives in one graphing window. Especially the seperate window
> for the bandwidth perspective seems a little wasted and disconnected.
> Maybe the bandwidth could be rendered as a backdrop plane behind the
> curves, then on top / in front of it the bandwidth graphs in shades
> of e.g. red to yellow and the weights graphs in shades of blue to
> green. Not sure if that works or if you have tried it already. Would
> need 3 scales on the left, probably colour coded again. Benefit would
> be that the time slider on the bottom would work for all perspectives
> synchronously. I always like to have all the information in one place
> so that my eye doesnt have to wonder, my brain doesn’t have to
> correlate etc. But of course there’s a treshold where the interface
> get’s too cluttered to be useful anymore.

Hmm.  I don't fully understand the graph that you suggest.  Can you
attach a draft, maybe even something drawn on paper?

My initial reaction is that this is going to be a heavily overloaded
graph.  In particular putting three different scales on the y axis is
discouraged, I think.  Also, with all the different colors this graph
becomes pretty hard to understand for color-blind people.

If there's a way to overcome these problems, happy to brainstorm more
about the topic. :)

All the best,
Karsten