[tor-dev] File verification GUI tool

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 23 21:59:23 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 05:45:36PM -0400, Sukhbir Singh wrote:
> > I am starting to work on a small GUI tool for file verification because I
> > find guiding users through the verification process on Windows/Mac through
> > the command line painful.
>
> Just a thought: have you considered doing this through a Firefox
> extension instead?

It does seem like a Firefox extension is a better alternative. The "here's
an executable you just fetched from the Internet, please run it" model
is likely bad news, and also isn't the right habit to be teaching users.

See also the thread on the blog about this topic:
https://blog.torproject.org/blog/tor-nsa-gchq-and-quick-ant-speculation#comment-34693

This is not an easy topic.

--Roger