[tor-dev] File verification GUI tool

Sukhbir Singh sukhbir.in at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 21:45:36 UTC 2013

Sherief Alaa wrote:

> I am starting to work on a small GUI tool for file verification because I
> find guiding users through the verification process on Windows/Mac through
> the command line painful.
>
> Tools in use:
> - Python 3.3 or 2.7 (still didn't decide yet).
> - PyQT
> - python-gnupg-0.3.5
>
> I might also add a log window and a save log button to see what went wrong
> during the verification process.

Just a thought: have you considered doing this through a Firefox
extension instead? I remember GetTor recommended a Firefox add-on for
checking the hash of the bundle it sent out [0].

Note that I haven't thought about this approach completely but the
reason this came to mind is because:

- distribution through Mozilla Add-ons is easy and secure.
- this does not require installation of extra components.

[0] - https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/md5-reborned-hasher/

--
Sukhbir