[tor-dev] RFC of proposal draft for "Migration to ed25519 HS identity keys and privacy-preserving directory documents"

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 08:53:13 UTC 2013

On 9/13/13, George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net> wrote:
> This proposal is in serious need for comments.

> 1.2. From the PoV of the HS client:
>
>   Tor clients can distinguish new-style HS addresses from old ones by
>   their length. Legacy addresses are 16 base32 characters, while new
>   ones are 56 (XXX) base32 characters.
>
>   If Tor is asked to connect to a legacy address it SHOULD throw a
>   warning and advocate the use of new-style addresses (it should still
>   connect to the HS however). In the future, when old-style HS
>   addresses are close to depletion, we can introduce a torrc parameter
>   that blocks client connections to old-style HS addresses.

As commented earlier on this list...
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-August/005286.html

This addressing change will break onioncat (IPv6) within Tor.
https://www.onioncat.org/

I suggest a solution to transporting IPv6 within Tor be
maintained/deployed concurrently with any change in
current onion addressing and or transport mechanics.