[tor-dev] Retiring old user number estimates

Roger Dingledine arma at mit.edu
Mon Sep 16 22:02:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 08:28:21PM +0200, Karsten Loesing wrote:
> Here's the plan:
>
>  - Compute user numbers for 2012 and before; the current numbers start
> on January 1, 2013.  This is going to take at least until September 23.

Sounds good. That sounds like it will resolve Griffin's question too?

> Thoughts?  Did I miss anything that's worth keeping?  Anyone want to
> create an archive of their favorite graphs before I pull the plug?

I think it would be good to write a paragraph or two to answer Matthew's
question -- why are these new numbers different, and what makes us think
they're better? I admit I've lost track of the various user counting
approaches too.

(Also, is our estimate of August 2013 any more reliable than our estimate
of August 2008, in this new approach? That is, are we losing more from
the much earlier dates?)

Thanks!
--Roger