[tor-dev] Torsocks tests

Luke Gallagher luke at hypergeometric.net
Thu Sep 12 05:07:51 UTC 2013

Hi David,

I would like to make sure I'm heading in the right direction with the
tests and have a few questions which I've compiled below:

First of all generally speaking:

I've taken the approach: if a declaration is defined in the header file
then I'll aim to write tests for it, if it makes sense to do so. Is this
the right approach? Or is the aim to isolate and test as much of the
code as possible (including non-exposed declarations)?

Is there anything else you had in mind for the tests in general?

common/config-file tests:

I have a single test for config_file_read which tests the behaviour when
there is no config file given. Does it make sense to take this further
and setup fixtures to test different config files on disk, for example
an empty config file, bad config file, etc?

common/socks5 tests:

At this point it is a little unclear on the best approach to test this.
What are the requirements for adequately testing the socks5 subsystem?

A few of my thoughts are:

* Unit tests with mocks/stubs to help isolate things
* Integration tests similar to the dns tests
* A combination of the above
* Something else I've missed?

lib/* tests:

These seem similar to the socks5 tests above, does this sound right? Is
there anything obvious that we should not be testing or want to avoid
with the tests?

regards,

Luke