[tor-dev] Tor Cloud is broken - please help debug?

Runa A. Sandvik runa.sandvik at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 23:16:24 UTC 2013

Hi everyone,

It seems something is wrong with the Tor Cloud [1] instances [2]. My
best guess is that the instances are failing to auto-update packages
and are left in a state where tor is not running, new packages are not
being installed, and the instances are not doing anything useful. I am
not able to look into this issue until next week. Does anyone want to
poke at it sooner?

The best ways to debug this would be:

* Set up a Tor Cloud instance (open all the right ports and make sure
you have a set of SSH keys for it), connect to it and look through the
logs. I'm guessing the package update process is waiting for user
input or something similar.

* Set up an Ubuntu cloud instance and go through the Tor Cloud setup
[3] manually to see when/if something breaks.

[1]: https://cloud.torproject.org/
[2]: https://metrics.torproject.org/network.html#cloudbridges
[3]: https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-cloud.git/blob_plain/HEAD:/ec2-prep.sh

--