[tor-dev] [GSOC 2013] Steganography Browser Extension Status Report

Hareesan rharishan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 06:34:40 UTC 2013

Hi all,
First of all, let me apologize for being late in sending this report.
In last two weeks, I was mostly engaged with code updating and fine
tuning the code. I spent time in changing the public key cryptography
libraries [1] to support Firefox supported imports. And I'm not
completed with this part because I need to spend time in understanding
the libraries.

Since I'm having exams from this week, I won't be able to work on the
project for coming weeks and this will be my last status report
regarding my GSOC project. Once my exams over, I will continue working
in the project from where I'm pausing now.

Up to now I have created the extension for Firefox with the following features,

1. Upload contents from physical files to encryption / decryption. Up
to now the contents will be popped as byte data format once the user
click on encrypt/decrypt button in the upload menu.
2. Get web content from from web page for encryption/decryption
purpose. Once user right click on a web content such as image, html
video, html audio and select on encrypt or decrypt option and click on
encrypt/decrypt button. the byte data of selected content will be
popped.

All these byte data popped will be used to further message encryption
need in the future development of the project.

3. The code to encrypt message using random number also added and the
methods to access the libraries will be displayed in the
documentation.
4. In options page, the filter creation and relevant sqlite database
access codes are added. It can be tested using the Filters tab in
options page.

All the codes up to now are reviewed and tested by Sukhbir Singh, and
changes are made according to mentor's suggestion and possible bugs
are got fixed time to time. Time to time, many suggestions and
feedbacks were given by Moritz Bartl as well.

Future plans for the continuity of the project.
1. There is a need to add public cryptography libraries to the
extension. Up to now, the libraries are selected and added to the
repository. But there is a need to change libraries to support Firefox
supported import export mechanisms.
2. After fixing these all, the primary part of the project to add
Steganography libraries exists.

You can find the full source code in public repository[2].

Within the coming weeks, I will complete the documentation in detail.

Thank you.

[1] http://ats.oka.nu/titaniumcore/js/crypto/readme.txt
[2] https://github.com/rharishan/Steganography-Browser

--