[tor-dev] regarding control spec for hidden service descriptor

Qingping Hou dave2008713 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 3 18:25:30 UTC 2013

On Tue 03 Sep 2013 01:25:55 PM EDT, George Kadianakis wrote:
> I'm nitpicking a bit below just to give you a taste of some of the
> things that you should think about when you start editing torspec.

Thanks for all the feedback!

>> # Asynchronous events for hs descriptors:
>>
>> HS_DESC SP REQUESTED SP OnionAddress SP DescptorID SP AuthType SP HsDir
>
> If my Tor needs an HS descriptor and requests it, will this event
> trigger once for each HSDir directory connection? Or will it only
> trigger once (what is the 'HsDir' field then?)?

It will be triggered for each HSDirs directory connection, i.e. every
time an real request is sent out. HsDir here means the which hsdir
directory serves the descriptor, a typical example can be:
"FingerPrint at IP"

I will add explanation for each filed in the spec.

> Also, do you know the AuthType beforehand (at the time of requesting
> an HS descriptor)? Or do you learn it afterwards?

IIRC, it should be known beforehand, but I need to double check this ;p

>> # HS descriptor related extension to getinfo event:
>>
>> request:
>>
>> GETINFO desc/hs/n.onion [network]
>>
>> where network is an optional argument, if given, will force refetch of HS's
>> descriptor.
>>
>> response:
>>
>> First line with one of following headers:
>>
>> n.onion fromcache <which hsdir served it to us>
>
> I guess that <which hsdir served it to us> is not used in this case.

Hm, you are right, I am not sure whehter we can even get this
information
from cached descriptor.

>> n.onion fetchfail <why>
>
> Nitpicking again, but instead of the 'fetchfail' message I would maybe
> use the error codes of the control port. For example, if the fetch
> fails I would send back a 551 or 552 error with the <why>. AFAIK
> that's how GETINFO helpers should signal error conditions.

Agree, I totally missed this part, will adjust this part.

> Yep, that's a good way to submit a patch.
> (Even better, if you have a public git repository for torspec (github
> or something), make a branch with your mods and post a link to it in
> the trac ticket.)

Yes, by "patch", I mean pullable public git branch ;p It will be in
github.

Thanks,
qp