[tor-dev] Pluggable Transport Browser Bundle FTE Integration

Kevin P Dyer kpdyer at gmail.com
Sun Sep 1 16:38:32 UTC 2013

[Taking this discussion to tor-dev.]

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM, George Kadianakis <desnacked at riseup.net>wrote:

> Kevin P Dyer <kpdyer at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi George/David,
> >

> Hi Kevin,
>
> > I spoke with Roger at USENIX. He said you're the pluggable transport (PT)
> > gatekeepers. Please bear with me while I get up to speed.
> >
> > My goals:
> > 1. I want Format-Transforming Encryption (FTE) [4] to be a "deployed" PT
> in
> > the PT TBB.
> > 2. I want FTE to be integrated seamlessly with your existing deployment
> > process.
> >
> > My initial roadblocks:
> >
> > === Building/Testing Tor on Linux/OSX/Windows
> > I'm trying to understand exactly how the current build/release process
> > works for tor. In regards to the PT TBB it seems like there are a few
> > resources [1,2,3]. However, is there a canonical documentation on how the
> > release process works? I'm especially interested in what you guys are
> doing
> > to produce builds on Windows. Are you using virtualization or do you
> have a
> > few physical build machines?
> >
> > Prior to doing anything with FTE. I'd love to be able to create my own
> > build environment that produces that current obfs2+obfs3+flash_proxy
> > bundles [6] across all 4 OS/architecture configurations.
> >

> Building PTTBBs is mainly done by David these days. He has documented
> his process here:
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/bundle.git
> (For example for Windows you would look here:
>
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/bundle.git/blob/HEAD:/bundle-windows.txt
> )
>
> The release process is not standarized. David is doing PTTBB releases
> in a best-effort manner.

Right. On first glance, looks like this process will increase in complexity
(and utilize more of David's time) as the number of PTs increases.

I need to better understand the build process, then.

>  > === Implementing Managed Mode in FTE
> > I've implemented preliminary functionality for "managed" mode in FTE.
> > However, I think I'm confused about the role of managed mode.
> >
> > Say I add "Bridge fte IP:port" to torrc. Is "IP:port" supposed to be a
> tor
> > bridge, or a server-side PT service? If it's the former, then it seems
> that
> > the PT is completely responsible for managing a list of its own PT
> servers.
> > If it is the latter, I can't figure out how to dynamically determine, via
> > the "managed" environmental variables, how to capture user-entered
> > "IP:port" information in Vidalia.
> >

> It is the latter. <IP:port> points to the server-side PT service. It
> does *not* point to the ORPort of the bridge (we don't care about it).
>
> > Concretely, if I have "Bridge fte IP1:port" and ""Bridge fte IP2:port" in
> > my torrc, how does "IP1:port" and "IP2:port" get propagated to my PT via
> > the managed interface?
> >

> The <IP:port> is *not* passed to your transport using the managed
> mode. Instead, <IP:port> is passed to your transport using the SOCKS
> protocol. That is, when Tor wants to connect to the bridge, it does a
> SOCKS handshake to your transport, and asks your transport to connect
> to <IP:port>.

Is this documented anywhere?

>  > === How do we invoke PTs?
> > I had this discussion with Roger, but I don't see any open tickets or
> clear
> > discussion on this already. If we have N>1 PTs and at least one bridge
> per
> > PT, how do we select which PT (and which bridge associated with that PT)
> > use? Determinism is bad because then only one PT is used. Booting up all
> > PTs is bad, especially if (say) the PTs make network connections prior to
> > any incoming SOCKS connections. Selecting a random PT is potentially bad,
> > too, depending upon how hostile and persistent and stateful the adversary
> > is.
> >

> That's an interesting question. I'm not sure if the process of Tor
> picking bridges is deterministic or not. I should test it out. David
> might know.
>
> (A good scenario would be that Tor treats bridges like guards and
> selects some at random to build circuits.)

We should definitely try to flesh this out.

>  > We should probably chat about this. (Maybe you already have and I'm out
> of
> > the loop?) It is especially important as the number of PTs increases.
> >
> > I'm happy to take this discussion (or a subset of it) public, if you
> think
> > it'll help others. I just didn't want to spam tor-dev/tor-assistants with
> > this initial email.
> >

> Yes, let's take it public.
> Feel free to CC tor-dev in your next reply.

Done.

> BTW, on the topic of deploying your PT, have you seen:
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2013-August/005231.html ?
>
> FTE seems to be missing out on the code quality front.
> The Python code is quite complex and undocumented. There is also some
> C++ code in the codebase that is also complex and undocumented. We
> have decided that we won't ship C/C++ code in PTs, except if it's dead
> easy to review or if it has gotten heavily scrutinized. Any chance
> that the C++ code could be written in a memory-safe language?

Roughly, FTE has an offline mode (building DFAs, needs to be done once) and
an online mode (transporting data, deployed to everyone.) In terms of C++
code, there are ~300 line of C++ code used in online mode that were
implemented for performance-critical algorithms. Implementing this code in
Python will slow FTE down by at least an order of magnitude. I'll document
why I made this decision.

Alternatively, any suggestions for a memory-safe language that allows hooks
for Python and affords the same performance as C++?

In terms of reducing complexity of the Python code, and increasing code
documentation, do you have concrete suggestions? It would be great if you
could raise a few issues on FTE's github [7]. My time is limited and I
would prefer to focus on the things you care about.

Thanks,
Kevin

[7] https://github.com/redjack/FTE