[tor-dev] [tor-assistants] Finding a maintainer for Weather

Damian Johnson atagar at torproject.org
Wed Oct 23 16:02:16 UTC 2013

>> * This option would be an opt-in for receiving notifications about their relay.
>
> I still think a) that relay operators will be confused that they can
> enter their email address in two different places and b) that we
> shouldn't integrate Weather (or DocTor or however we call it) into
> little-t-tor by moving configuration options there.

Ok. Personally I'm not overly in love with the additional torrc
option, but like it better than maintaining a database just to track
email addresses and opt-ins. If we're gonna opt for maintaining a
Weather website and database then it should certainly have a
maintainer to continue.

>> Actually, DocTor rather than Weather - I want to shut Weather down.
>
> Okay, I guess that's just a question of scope.  The old Java DocTor was
> only a consensus-health checker written for directory authority
> operators.  If you want to extend scope to relay operators, sure, why not.

Gotcha. I've defined DocTor's scope as 'notifications based on the
ongoing collection of present descriptor data', which overlaps with
Weather (minus a website for opt-ins). DocTor has already grown a tad
larger than just consensus-health since it now includes checks for
descriptor validity and sybil attacks.

Cheers! -Damian