[tor-dev] First draft of Requirements and Software Design for a Better Tor Performance Measurement Tool

Karsten Loesing karsten at torproject.org
Wed Oct 23 12:04:51 UTC 2013

[Adding tor-dev@ back to the Cc.]

On 10/8/13 7:25 PM, Robert Annessi wrote:
> On Friday 06 September 2013 15:58:53 Karsten Loesing wrote:
>> I just finished a first draft of a tech report sketching out the
>> requirements and a software design for a new Torperf implementation.
>
>> Feedback in the form of patches to the LaTeX sources is most preferred,
>> though email replies are of course fine, too.
>
> I would add a "Circuit build success/failure rate" to the tests. Recent events
> (botnet) clearly showed that such data is needed but missing.

Absolutely.  The plan is to log stream and circuit information on the
tor processes used by Torperf.  See section 2.2.1 "Results format" for
details:

"""
Results may include data which appear not immediately relevant to
measuring Tor performance, but which may be useful for related purposes.
For example, Torperf should include data about circuit failures in its
results, even though these circuits may not have been used in actual
requests.%
\footnote{\url{https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/8662}}
"""

Also see the appendix that specifies data formats for stream and circuit
information.

If you have suggestions for making this clearer, can you send me a patch
to the LaTeX sources?

https://gitweb.torproject.org/user/karsten/tech-reports.git/blob/refs/heads/torperf2:/2013/torperf2/torperf2.tex

All the best,
Karsten