[tor-dev] Pluggable Transport TBB Build

Kevin P Dyer kpdyer at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 18:58:40 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:22 PM, David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 12:02:20PM -0400, Kevin P Dyer wrote:
>> On Sun, Oct 6, 2013 at 3:30 PM, David Fifield <david at bamsoftware.com> wrote:
>> This is a good start and goes a long way towards automating the build
>> process. However, I'm looking for "Press a button, make a sandwich,
>> have all builds (for all platforms) ready when I come back."-type of
>> automation. It appears that the current procedure requires booting up
>> four systems (virtual or physical) manually, then manually running the
>> build script in each instance.
>>
>> I've had success fully-automating the build using vagrant for the
>> linux builds. (Execute "vagrant up," wait a few minutes, then we have
>> i386/amd64 PTTBB .tar.gz files.) I only encountered two issues [1,2].
>> OSX is next. How may I share this work on
>> https://gitweb.torproject.org/?
>
> My point is that the "push a button" technique is already handled by the
> Gitian build. (Even though it's more like "make 20 sandwiches.") I just
> want to caution you against redoing a lot of work that has already been
> done. Did you know that the Gitian build has a Vagrant configuration?
> https://gitweb.torproject.org/builders/tor-browser-bundle.git/tree/HEAD:/vagrant
> Many of these battles have already been fought.
>
> Also understand my motives: in the future, I don't want the building of
> PT bundles to fall post-hoc to pluggable transport authors. I want them
> to be made as a side effect of the vanilla bundle builds, so that nor I
> nor others not interested in making bundles will have to make them. So
> while improvements to the bundle.git system are welcome, I eventually
> want to get rid of it completely.

I conflated two issues: challenges in setting up my personal
development environment and challenges in the formal Tor build
process. I'm personally motivated to get fully-automated PTTBB builds
working to make my development life easier. I'll make less mistakes if
I can make a change, then easily test those changes across multiple
platforms.

-Kevin