[tor-dev] Sponsor F: update; next meeting [in *two weeks*]

Colin C. admin at insecure-complexity.com
Tue Oct 1 03:18:07 UTC 2013

On 30/09/13 09:13 PM, Tom Lowenthal wrote:
> [...]
> also write a report on this work. Ximin and David will help. By
> Halloween, the report will be complete and the bundles will either
> be released or well on their way through testing. This likely
> represents some combination of minimal or intended outcomes for
> this deliverable.
>

> Bridge Metrics [#12] --------------
>
> **[Done: Intended]** Our reporting code has been merged into
> master. It will ride the trains or flow downstream or whatever your
> favorite code development cycle imagery is, and show up in future
> releases. As it goes through alpha, beta, and release, gets picked
> up and adopted by more operators, we'll get more comprehensive
> sample coverage, and better data. This likely represents an ideal
> outcome for this deliverable.
>

> N23 Performance Work [#13] --------------------
>
> **[On Track: Alternate]** Roger doesn't think that N23 is as good
> as we thought it was, so he's going to write a report on the
> various performance improvements we've implemented lately; the
> performance work which we though about, but decided not to
> implement, and why; and a wishlist of future performance work and
> research. He'll have this done by Halloween. This likely represents
> an alternate outcome for this deliverable.
>

> Improved Scheduling [#14] -------------------
>
> **[On Track: Intended]** Nick will work with Roger and Andrea to
> implement an improved scheduler (possibly based on picking
> randomly, weighted by bandwidth), and -- if possible -- also to
> refactor `cmux`. If time permits, Nick will also attempt to
> simulate this using Shadow , probably with Karsten's help. Finally,
> Nick will produce a full report before Halloween. This likely
> represents an intended outcome for this deliverable.
>

> Alternate `Fast` Flag Allocation [#15]
> --------------------------------
>
> **[At Risk]** The person who we initially expected to do this work
> does not seem to be available to do it. We need to find an
> alternate plan to execute this deliverable. If you think you can do
> it, please read [ticket #1854][#1854] and get in touch.
>
> [#1854]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/1854
>

> VoIP Support [#16] ------------
>
> **[On Track: alternate]** Our implementation strategy for this was
> high-latency send-an-mp3-over-XMPP using Gibberbot/Chatsecure, or
> a similar system. The internal milestone was to have a release
> candidate available today. Sadly, Nathan (who is on point for this)
> wasn't on the call. Fortunately, Nathan [blogged][guardian-1] about
> Chatsecure's `12.4.0-beta4` ten days ago, and a
> tantalizingly-named
> [`ChatSecure-v12.4.2-release.apk`][chatsecure-release]
> ([sig][chatsecure-release-sig]) is available in the Guardian
> Project [release directory][guardian-releases]. The outlook seems
> good, but Tom will follow up with Nathan as soon as possible to
> verify these outrageous claims. Nathan, if you're reading this,
> could you get in touch (email, IRC, XMPP, whatever). Thanks!

[chatsecure-release]:
> https://guardianproject.info/releases/ChatSecure-v12.4.0-beta4-release.apk

[chatsecure-release-sig]:

[guardian-releases]: https://guardianproject.info/releases/

> Extended Phase 2 Deliverables =============================
>

> VoIP Support [#17] ------------
>
> **[Limbo: Intended]** Here we're talking about getting a general
> VoIP client (Mumble) to work over Tor. This discussed in [ticket
> #5699][#5699], and [instructions][torify-mumble] for using Mumble
> over Tor are on the wiki. We didn't get an update during the
> meeting, so if you're working on this, get in touch, eh?
>
> [#5699]: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/5699
> [torify-mumble]:
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/Mumble
>

> Simulating Tor [#18] --------------
>
> **[On Track: Intended]** Linus will finish Shadow improvements as
> needed, and write a full report on his Shadow work. That'll all be
> done by Halloween. This probably represents the intended outcome
> of this deliverable.
>

> Relays as Bridges [#19] -----------------
>
> **[Done: Minimal]** Using a public relay as a bridge works.
>

> Defiance [#20, #21] --------
>
> **[At Risk]** We cannot work on these without open Defiance code.
>

> Throttling Classifiers [#22] ----------------------
>
> **[On Track]** Adaptive throttling seems to come with unpleasant
> anonymity tradeoffs, so we're not doing that right now. It looks
> like static throttling will work really quite well, without these
> tradeoffs.
>

> Torbrowser Optimistic Data [#23] --------------------------
>
> **[Done: Ideal]** It's in your TBB *right now*.
>

> FAQ ===
>
> **Q**: Why do you keep talking about Halloween? **A**: We're
> currently in Phase Two of Year 3 of the Sponsor F project. That
> phase ends on October 31st 2013, so we should try to finish
> everything as best we can before then. Also: if we don't finish, at
> midnight (local time) each person who has an outstanding
> deliverable will be besieged by a seemingly-endless horde of
> zombies. Others may be besieged too: the zombie report is hazy.

Matt and I gave an update on #17 directly after the meeting ended. The
meeting was called before #17 was brought up, so it may have appeared
that we were not there.

The current state of #17 is that there is a leak in Mumble's proxy
settings that makes it difficult for users to use Mumble safely. There
is a bug open for this issue on Mumble's bug tracker at
http://sourceforge.net/p/mumble/bugs/1033/.

We will have further information for the next meeting, and Matt may
have a response with further details.

- --
- -Phoul