[tor-dev] Torsocks 2.0 RC code review

Philipp Winter identity.function at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 13:22:19 UTC 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 11:37:27AM -0500, David Goulet wrote:
> On 29 Nov (15:07:41), Philipp Winter wrote:
>> I also have a minor feature request.  It would be great if
>> torsocks could display the source IP address and port of
>> connections.  I'm currently working on a Tor controller
>> component where knowing the source port of a connection would be
>> very useful to map streams to circuits.  Here's a branch with a
>> patch in it (which is untested on OS X and the BSDs):
>> https://github.com/NullHypothesis/torsocks/tree/print_source
>
> Tor has a "SafeLogging" configuration option that scrubs this kind of
> information from the logs and it's turned on by default. I'm wondering
> here what is the best approach. Looking for the torrc configuration file
> and checking if it's enabled or not, adding a configuration option *in*
> torsocks or enabling/disabling this info by default?
>
> Any thoughts?

Hmm, I am not sure how much of a problem that actually is.  It
depends on torsocks' threat model, of course, but there's other
potentially sensitive information aside from the debug log such
as the user's shell history which would tell an attacker when
the user executed which program using torsocks.

Having said that, as a user, I would probably prefer a dedicated
torsocks option (which could be scrub-by-default) over torsocks
trying to figure out Tor's config.

Another option would be to simply print a warning as the first
message in debug mode mentioning that the log contains local IP
addresses, ports etc.

Cheers,
Philipp