[tor-dev] Torsocks 2.0 RC code review

David Goulet dgoulet at ev0ke.net
Fri Nov 29 16:37:27 UTC 2013

On 29 Nov (15:07:41), Philipp Winter wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 26, 2013 at 05:17:58PM -0500, David Goulet wrote:
> > I would really love to have help with code review so it can get accepted
> > as a replacement in the near future. Some of you already gave feedbacks
> > so thanks but now it needs the "seal of approval" from the community :).
>
> Thanks for the release.  After some testing on my 64 bit Debian,
> it runs without problems and compiles without warnings.
>
> I also have a minor feature request.  It would be great if
> torsocks could display the source IP address and port of
> connections.  I'm currently working on a Tor controller
> component where knowing the source port of a connection would be
> very useful to map streams to circuits.  Here's a branch with a
> patch in it (which is untested on OS X and the BSDs):
> https://github.com/NullHypothesis/torsocks/tree/print_source

Tor has a "SafeLogging" configuration option that scrubs this kind of
information from the logs and it's turned on by default. I'm wondering
here what is the best approach. Looking for the torrc configuration file
and checking if it's enabled or not, adding a configuration option *in*
torsocks or enabling/disabling this info by default?

Any thoughts?

(FYI: there might be other DBG() call site that prints out possible
sensitive information on the current connection.)

Cheers!
David