[tor-dev] Apple App Store Redux

Fabio Pietrosanti (naif) lists at infosecurity.ch
Sun Nov 17 10:08:22 UTC 2013

Il 11/11/13 2:30 AM, Griffin Boyce ha scritto:
>   - Actively decide to continue without being blessed by Apple, but
> focusing instead on educating Mac users about their application security
> options.
I think, as already discussed here [1] and [2], that TBB *must* goes in
all kind of application store.

We should re-consider which is the KPI (key performance indicator) of
the "Effective Security" provided by Tor Browser Bundle.

Is the "Perfectness of the piece of software" ? I think no.

Is the "Amount of Anonymous Web Browsing Hours" spent by the users that
need it, worldwide? It think yes.

So, if the "Effectiveness" of the security provided by TBB is measured
that way, the "Outreach" to facilitate "Adoption" became a strategical,
foundamental part of the "Security Strategy" of TBB.

To improve the "Effective Security" of TBB, we must improve the
"Outreach" by facilitating and increasing the "Adoption" .

Practically, it means that the end-user must have a one-click-install
solution on all the platform that are used.

This, obviously, include also Apple App Store.

If that kind of evaluation would be a standard measure for Tor Project,
then i think that many small stuff will change here and there in the way
the software get delivered to the end-user.

[1] TBB Mac App Store
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2012-September/thread.html#25503
[2] Tor on iOS App Store
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-dev/2012-March/thread.html#3382

--
Fabio Pietrosanti (naif)
HERMES - Center for Transparency and Digital Human Rights