[tor-dev] Proposal 204 and next-gen HS addresses (was: Proposal status changes the last 17 months)

Lunar lunar at torproject.org
Fri Nov 15 12:42:07 UTC 2013

Nick Mathewson:
> 204  Subdomain support for Hidden Service addresses [FINISHED]
>
>      This one allows an (ignored) foo at the front of
>      foo.bar.onion, for subdomain support.  Sadly, I bet it will
>      never see much use with the introduction of longer onion
>      addresses in our next-gen hidden service design.

Could you elaborate on that last statement?

AFAIK, this feature has not been advertised at all yet because 0.2.4 is
still unfortunately not stable.

The initial idea was to be able to support access through a single
hidden service to mass-hosting platforms, think of all blogs at
*.wordpress.com or *.noblogs.org. Why would the longer onion addresses
be a problem in that regard?

--
Lunar                                             <lunar at torproject.org>