[tor-dev] bananaphone obfsproxy module

David Stainton dstainton415 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 11 17:10:39 UTC 2013

> Looks fine!
>
> BTW, does it work for you? Did you try the server-side using the
> ServerTransportOptions torrc option (tor >= 0.2.5.1-alpha)?

I have only tested it using the external mode.

I've gotten obfsproxy + bananaphone to run with tor in managed mode;
using the ServerTransportOptions... But I didn't test that it actually works.

OK I'll try testing with tor >= 0.2.5.1-alpha using the ServerTransportOptions.

> Some nitpicky comments:
> - It doesn't really matter in this case but:
>      transport_class = transports.get_transport_class(transport, 'socks')
>   might be better as:
>      transport_class = transports.get_transport_class(transport, 'server')
>   in obfsproxy/managed/server.py.

OK I will fix.

> - I see you are passing 'None' to setup() when in external mode. Maybe
>   you can move the run_transport_setup() call to do_external_mode()
>   (after pt_config is instantiated), and then pass the pt_config to
>   setup(). This way external-mode transports can learn the state
>   location (it's in TransportConfig) during setup() (Scramblesuit
>   might like this).
>
>   If you do so, there is no reason to do
>    'if transport_config is not None'
>   in obfsproxy/transports/bananaphone_transport.py.
>
> - It would be nice if obfs2 also used the setup() method to set its
>   shared_secret. I'm referring to the block of code below:
>    # Check for shared-secret in the server transport options.

OK I will do this... but can I do it all in my bananaphone branch or do you
want the obfs2 change in another branch?